Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What's for breakfast?

It's no secret that most breakfast cereals are bad for you, but now consumers can get a better understanding of exactly how bad they are, as well as how they stack up with each other. If you can't find your cereal listed here, there is a cereal calculator here where you can input data from the "Nutrition Facts" on the label, and the calculator will give it a score, which tells you how healthy it is -- or not. It's especially sad (although not surprising) that the least nutritious cereals are those marketed towards children.

So, what can you do for breakfast? When I searched my blog, I realized I've talked about this a lot in the past, so instead of reinventing the menu, here are links to some of my breakfast suggestions from past posts:

It's winter now, and I'm enjoying oatmeal or grits several times a week. Before you say, "Eeyew!" and head off to read another blog, however, check out these great ideas to make that gray goo delicious.

Biscuits are one of my favorite breakfast foods, and they take less time to mix up than it takes for my oven to heat up. Here's my recipe for quick, yummy biscuits.

Hash brown potatoes
have always been one of my favorite breakfast foods, and shredding a small potato takes less time than you think.

French toast is another super easy, delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive breakfast. It's especially good with dense homemade bread that has the body to soak up the egg and milk mixture. Since it takes the same amount of time to make one or two loaves of bread, I'll often make a double batch for dinner one evening, planning to make French toast for breakfast the next day.

And no breakfast list would be complete without a recipe for buttermilk pancakes, which is also quick, easy, and inexpensive. If your children don't like them, throw in a few chocolate chips, and they'll still be less expensive and more nutritious than commercial breakfast cereals.

I'm sure all of you have ideas for good breakfasts, so don't be shy -- share your ideas in the comment section!

For more blog posts on real food, check out Kelly the Kitchen Kop. For other money-saving ideas, check Life as Mom, and for more recipes, check out Foodie Friday and Friday Food.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hardest thing about breakfast is that for so many people it's much, much better to have protein for breakfast. I know I personally feel much better if I have protein in the morning. If I have cereal or even the foods you mention, I will feel OK for a while then will feel sluggish.

So, I would add eggs to your list. They are quick and easy and there are lots of ways to make them. Fruit and smoothies are another good idea, especially if you can add some protein to that somehow. Other than that, I cheat and have a protein shake. :) I feel like it's cheating, but it's what my body needs and sometimes it sounds better than eggs.

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the semi-omelet for breakfast. Take whatever veggies you've got, make them bite-sized, and start them over low heat, covered. While the veg cooks, separate two eggs--use the whites, save the yolks. Add another whole egg. Maybe add some milk. Mix all that with a fork until it's combined, then dump it into the pan with the vegetables. Cook uncovered over low heat until it's done. Or just stick everything in a oil-sprayed bowl in the microwave and cook it 2-4 minutes. Easy, fast, filling, protein-y, good for leftovers.

Lucy said...

I would add eggs and bacon (all from local sources), biscuits and gravy (I usually spike the gravy with veggies like chard, bell peppers, onion and garlic. I use sausage but one can easily make vegetarian), fruit salad with yogurt and honey. Make your own granola-I do this about every ten days and eat the granola with yogurt my husband makes from raw milk.

SkippyMom said...

I have an aversion to bribing my kids with chocolate to get them to eat breakfast [even if it is more nutritious than some cereals offered] Blueberries are a good substitution [mixed in] or pancakes topped with strawberries -

Then again - I am the Mom known to let them eat pumpkin pie [homemade] for breakfast.

But hands down fruit smoothies are the most popular breakfast food here. So easy and so goood.

Deborah Niemann said...

Great ideas, everyone! Eggs are not on my brain now, since our chickens are slowing down. Soon, they won't be laying at all, and we'll be eggless until March. :( We also love smoothies. In the warmer months, we also make parfaits with yogurt, fruit, and granola.

Iris said...

Love the idea of the cereal calculator! You and I had the same idea this week...my link on Real Food Wednesdays was also about different breakfast ideas!

Greenearth said...

Breakfast for me is the biggest meal of the day and I make my own muesli using organic ingredients from my local health food shop. I find this the most inexpensive way to buy a quality muesli as you are not paying for packaging and marketing. Have my muesli with honey and oat milk and no food cravings during the morning.

kristyreal said...

Since starting the GAPS diet we no longer eat "conventional" breakfast foods anymore but rely on pasture raised meats and organic veggies cooked in bone broths. I really didn't know how we would like this obvious "non-breakfasty" morning meal but we are really enjoying it. I think the meat/veggie combos will be a keeper even when we are allowed a more varied diet. As soon as I am able to get some hens in the spring, we will be adding eggs to our menu. Right now we have been unable to find corn-free eggs so we have to do without because of corn allergy. :(

Also, I enjoyed Lucy's comment about sneaking veggies into gravy. It reminded me of my childhood and our favorite breakfast of biscuits and tomato gravy.

Unknown said...

We gave up commercial cereal years ago. We eat a lot of homemade granola, yogurt, eggs, toast w/peanut butter and fruit for breakfast.

Blessings!
Gail

Sue said...

My favorite breakfast is Greek yogurt with strawberries, but there are times I grab cereal because it is quick and easy. I tend to go with ones that have dried fruit or nuts and try to keep my portions small.

Sue

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails