Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Post #600

And now we take a break from our regularly scheduled programming . . .

Here I am at 600 posts and still writing after four years and four months. I suppose it is some sort of landmark, but for me, being on Antiquity Oaks for eight years is more of an accomplishment. I've always been a writer. Friends from high school and college who have reconnected with  me on Facebook are seldom surprised that I became a journalist. Like many writers, I've been writing my entire life. I can't stop writing any easier than Lance Armstrong could stop cycling or Madonna could stop singing. I won't bore you by reciting my whole resume, but if you really want to know more, I have a website for my writing.

When I was a newspaper reporter, I wrote about all sorts of things. I once covered a murder-for-hire trial, which was fascinating, and I covered the home office of Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, which was always interesting. I did a lot of health stories for magazines and newspapers, which took me into operating rooms, so maybe that's why it isn't too difficult to deal with the veterinary challenges on the farm. But of all the things I've written, I love writing about Antiquity Oaks the most. It was fun to sit on the sidelines and talk to people doing things, but it is even more fun to find yourself in the middle of the action.

It has been a shock for old friends to discover my new lifestyle. It's 180 degrees from what I did 20 or 30 years ago. Back then, I would max out credit cards buying clothes. Today -- if I were still so irresponsible -- I'd max out a credit card at Tractor Supply. Although a lot about me has changed, one thing has not. I still love to write. So, while a lot of people start blogs and forget to post and eventually forgot about the blog entirely, this blog has become as much a part of me as my house and my animals. I hope you enjoy reading my stories as much as I enjoy writing them, because I will be sticking around for a long time.

Today's photo was taken by Katherine with her new camera. I was giving Eleanor her bottle when she jerked her head down and popped her mouth off the nipple, and the milk went splattering. Katherine had her finger on the trigger and snapped the picture just at that moment.

Tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that, I'll be back giving you updates on everything happening around here: Sherri's new triplets, the green zebra tomatoes growing in my dining room, Linguine's progress, and more. If there is ever anything you want to hear about, don't be shy about leaving a comment.

9 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh what an adorable photo! Almost seems like it was photo shopped!

I have been cautious about growing the upside down tomatoes, but since I have no yard, and too many deer in the trees, I want them so bad.

Jealous about the Zebra's!

Michelle said...

I feel the same way about writing, although I haven't done as much with it professionally as you have. I NEED to write; I LOVE to write -- and I love being able to illustrate with my own photos! My sister calls me a "wordsmith;" I like it!

Caprifool said...

The picture is priceless!

Deborah Niemann said...

ChefE -- Yes, that pictures does look photo shopped, but it's not. Katherine squealed with joy when she saw it! She's been saving for so long to buy the best camera possible without spending too much, so she's ecstatic that it takes such great photos.

Michelle -- I forgot to mention that I've probably started about 10 different blogs, but they've all been dropped, except this one. There is something extra-special about writing about something you really love!

Caprifool -- thanks! I'll let Katherine know!

LindaG said...

Haha. We'd max out a credit card at Tractor Supply too.
Or Agra Supply, but there's not so many of those.
The picture turned out fantastic!
Congrats on the picture and on post 600! That's fantastic!

Genny said...

I'm just so glad I found your blog and your wonderful farm and animals, especially the delightful little goats. I love reading your blog entries.

Anonymous said...

All the new kids are absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing :)

Genny said...

I do have a question about keeping the goats contained. Do you use electric fencing or are they just good about not trying to jump the fence?

Deborah Niemann said...

It's tough to keep goats contained with electric fencing. That's what was here when we moved here, and we lost six apple trees to the goats one winter! They stripped all the bark from the trees. Now we have woven wire. The Nigerians don't try to climb or jump it, but the la manchas do. I'm not sure how you keep big goats contained, but woven wire works for NDs. Bucks need livestock panels, if there are does on the other side of the fence. We also use the portable electric fencing for doing rotational grazing with them. I wrote about that a week or two ago and had pictures and links to the company where I buy it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails