Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Goats, geese, and watermelon seedlings


We've been busy with a variety of things the past few days. Of course, I have to spend a certain amount of time with my goats every day. I absolutely adore my two la mancha babies. The la mancha breed is certainly a great illustration of the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I think they are the most beautiful goats in the world with the teeny-weeny ears, but some people think they are hideous. Go figure.

We finally got some much-needed rain. We had none for two and a half weeks, and we got about an inch, so we can go a few days without worrying about watering. On one of the wet days, we spent almost the whole day cleaning out the small barn. I am hoping to have it cleaned out by the end of June, so we can have our goat show in there.

Mike got the entire "regular" garden planted. That is the first time we have ever planted every square inch of the garden, so we're pretty proud. Katherine and I also transplanted some watermelons into one of the permaculture areas. We put floating row covers on them to protect them from bugs. The next day, Mike and I were coming home from town, and when we pulled into the driveway, we saw the geese pecking and ripping at the row covers! Who knew geese loved watermelon seedlings? I jumped out of the car and chased them away. They have acres and acres of grass -- even a few dozen daylilies -- so I don't think they need my watermelon seedlings!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails