Monday, December 28, 2009

Pizza night

Most nights, we sit down around the dinner table and have a proper dinner, but every Friday night, we make homemade pizza and eat it while watching a movie. Everyone in the family knows how to make pizza, so anyone can jump in and start the dough or roll it out or whatever needs to be done to keep pizza night on track. In fact, the kids usually make the pizza without even being reminded.

The dough recipe is taped inside the cabinet above the Kitchen Aid, so it's easy to get everything started on time. To make enough dough for two pizzas, put the follow ingredients into the mixing bowl:

1 1/2 c. water
1 T. yeast

1 T. sugar

1 t. salt

2 T. olive oil

4 to 5 c. flour


If you're using a Kitchen Aid, use your dough hook and mix until the dough forms a ball and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. You don't have to let it rise, but if it does rise for 30 minutes or an hour, it will be easier to stretch and roll out on the pizza pan.

Mike is the family mozzarella guru, and we haven't purchased mozzarella in a couple years. When we're really drowning in the milk in the spring and summer, we make extra mozz and freeze it for winter when we might not have the gallon of milk needed to make a batch.

Jonathan is especially good at rolling out the dough and preparing the pizza. Rub olive oil all over your hands to make it easier to handle the dough. (Olive oil is also very good for your skin, so don't wash it off!) Pour sauce to taste on each pizza crust. Newman's pasta sauces make great pizza, if you don't want to make your own sauce. Sprinkle chopped veggies and other toppings on the pizza. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Or when doing two pizzas, bake for 11 minutes, rotate pizzas on racks, and bake for an additional 11 minutes.

Pick a movie that the whole family will enjoy, sit back, and enjoy your pizza!

Check out more blogs on meatless meals here!

5 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE making dough in mixer [so do the kids :)] so I think we will have hawaiian pizza tonight [all that leftover ham y'know?]but no real mozzarella, sigh.

I am excited - thanks for sharing :)

Chef E said...

Yum, we love pizza and making it from scratch is a great feeling, well for me, since my hubby cannot, nor wants to cook, LOL, but we survive...I love my kitchen-aide mixer!

Carolina Trekker said...

I know your busy, but I lost your Meatloaf recipe. Help!

Deborah Niemann said...

SkippyMom, my son doesn't seem to think it's really pizza if there isn't pineapple on it.

ChefE, I've only had my Kitchen Aid since February. Best purchase I EVER made!

Sorry Carolina Trekker, but I don't think I've posted a meatloaf recipe.

Spinners End Farm said...

Hi Deborah!

We too have friday night pizza and movie night and make homemade pizza. Unfortunately, only our six year old really appreciates the home crafted variety and the other two would prefer the cardboard frozen pizzas from the grocery store. I am hoping they will grow out of it! I look forward to the time when I come home to a pizza they have made for me!

Happy holidays,
sherry

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails