Sunday, March 7, 2010

New llamas on the farm


Ladies, you know we need girlfriends, right? Well, the same is true for lady llamas. Unfortunately, I realized this after we decided to add a single female to our llama herd last year. Katy was going to be in the pasture adjacent to the boys. That lasted less than a week. I looked out the window one morning, and she was with the boys. If she was skilled enough to jump the fence, there wasn't much I could do to keep her away from the boys, so there she stays.

Unfortunately, we did not know that Katy was pregnant when we bought her, and there is one big problem with her living with the boys. Unbeknownst to us, she gave birth in October, and we found the dead cria several days later. One of my llama-raising friends said males should not be with the females during birth because they get kind of nutty, and he could have accidentally killed the cria. Even if that is not what happened last time, it could happen next time, so the safe thing is to separate her from the boys when she gets close to giving birth.

I kept thinking that I wanted to get a girlfriend for Katy, so the two of them could hang out together, chew the hay, talk about fiber, crias, pasture management, and other things that lady llamas talk about. But my mind has been occupied for several months now with purchasing a bullfriend for the cows, and I sort of forgot about Katy's girlfriend. (Bull shopping is quite a challenge, but that's a post for another day!)

Then today someone bought seven sheep. She stopped here after picking up some llamas at another farm. When I looked into her trailer, it was llama love at first site. There was this enormous white llama, and all I could think was how much I wanted a big mama llama to have big livestock-guarding llamas. That's the reason I got a female llama to begin with -- two of the four original llamas I purchased are in their mid-teens, so I figured if I had a female, I could breed my own replacements. And we could certainly use more llamas guarding the back 20, which is currently the wild south. After mentioning my admiration for the big mama llama several times, the owner asked if I wanted her. What? Do I want her? Yes! The only thing was that I'd have to take her baby also, but he's her son, so I'm thinking he'll grow up to be a big, strong, coyote-chasing guardian.

Now, they just need names, before I get so accustomed to calling her Big Mama that nothing else will stick. And what should we call the little guy?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lotta llama.

I kind of like Big Mama, actually.

Chef E said...

Me too, I like Big Mama Llama. That is it, I am making time to come help you for a couple of weeks!

I'm lovin' the llamacation, as in edu'llamacation.

My first experience with farm animal such as a goat (great grandparents had farms, but by then they were too old and only had chicken coups, few horses) was when I was running a B&B in St. Louis, outside of town a friend had a small farm with horses and one goat.

Felicity thought she was a human and sat with me on the patio love seat, and it took me a few visits to get used to her friendly ways, and 'no sudden moves' gentle head butts...are llamas the same as goats, friendly, or basically every animal has its own personality like cats, some friendly, some skid-dish, or attack on the spot?

How about bring back names our great grandmothers had- Ida, Mae, Ula...retro llama names lol, okay sorry for the book here, but you know us ladies :)

Chef E said...

PS I just got caught up on your maternity ward, and infirmary. Wow do you stay thin running after all those fun animals!

Deborah Niemann said...

Yes, Anonymous, that is a lotta llama. She dwarfed the other llamas in the trailer.

Chef E, llamas are the most aloof animals on the farm. I don't think they really like humans much. They just tolerate us. Goats are like vegetarian dogs, although a few have a more cat-like, aloof personalities. But it seems like everyone who visits falls in love with at least one goat.

Unfortunately, I don't stay as thin as I'd like. The food around here is just too good.

pedalpower said...

She looks so elegant in her long white coat! I think you should name her Lisa after Eva Gabor's character in "Green Acres." Not as high brow as some of your more literary character names, but I still like it!

SkippyMom said...

They are gorgeous! And she is huge.

Snow White and Prince? heehee - I honestly like Big Mama too - and he looks like a Max [to me] I don't know why.

Congrats.

IsobelleGoLightly said...

She's BEAUTIFUL! WOW. How about Lottie (since she's a lotta llama) hee hee.

Penny said...

I thought she looked very aloof and regal in that first photo which made me think of the "Her Majesty the Queen Mum". Her son could be "Prince Charming" or my first thought "What a Handsome Fellow"!
Just my silly 2 cents worth on little, to no, caffeine. =)

Gizmo said...

:)
I just found him on the other farm's website. They have him listed as "Knight Whisperer".
My girls (and boy) are settling trying to settle in. The dogs keep checking on the them...maybe they think they're babies...LOL.

Twwly said...

I would name that boy llama Chuck. Or maybe Travis.

Genny said...

I never thought I'd like llamas but reading your post and seeing your photos and several other blogs about llamas makes me feel some mama llama love. I also like the name Big Mama, and what else could you call the baby but Little Man.

Sally said...

Your new llamas are beautiful! I have no name suggestions, though.

Spinners End Farm said...

We have a Mmamma Llama too. How about "Llittle Big Man" for the baby? He kind of reminds me of the Dustin Hoffman character in that movie...where on earth did that come from??? I'm still on my first cup of tea...

CONEFLOWER said...

There is only one possible choice of a name for a handsome man llama. Fernando!! ....as in Fernando Lama(s) of course. :-)

Deborah Niemann said...

Oh, I love Fernando, but I will have to remember it for our next male cria, because I've pretty much settled on Big Mama and Little Man, as suggested by Genny. Little Man just cracks me up because if he's as big as his mama when he grows up, it will be such an ironic name, and irony is fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails