Saturday, December 20, 2008

Homemade hash brown casserole

A couple days ago, out of the blue, I was craving a hash brown casserole. Like many of you, I searched online for a recipe. I checked eight recipes and all of them, unfortunately, included Campbell's cream of chicken soup. Have American cooks become incapable of cooking without Campbell's soup? It's in our green bean casseroles, broccoli casseroles, zucchini casseroles, and our hash brown casseroles! Since we don't eat commercially-grown meat, using a cream of chicken soup was out of the question, so here's what I came up with:

Antiquity Oaks Hash Brown Casserole

2 pounds of hash browns (frozen)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup goat milk (can substitute whole cow's milk)
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 T. dried minced onion
1 t. garlic powder (omit if you are not a garlic fan)
1 t. garlic salt
1/8 t. pepper

Mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl and pour into a 2 quart casserole that has been liberally buttered to avoid sticking. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until bubbling and browned. If you use freshly shredded potatoes, it takes a lot longer to cook, so use 350 degrees F for an hour, and keep the casserole covered for the first 40 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon bits (or veggie bacon bits) before serving, if desired.

3 comments:

MaskedMan said...

Ooooh..!
Comfort food!

With my wife feeling under the weather (and feeling the way myself, a bit), this will be a welcome addition!

I'm thinking, now, on ways to modify it already... Fresh onions in place of diced dry..? Maybe slip in some mushrooms? Perhaps some fried, slivered prosciutto*..? Hmmm. This is not only a good dish, it's also a good base from which to launch some interesting experiments...



*(I will eat commercial meat - I don't really have a choice, where and when I am)

Anonymous said...

I am unable to remember how I stumbled upon your blog, but I'd just like to say that I enjoy it immensely.

I grew up in a city, but visited many farm-dwelling family members along the way. At the ripe age of 31 and on the cusp of taking advantage of low real estate prices for my first home, I very much crave a farm.

Please keep posting. You have at least one loyal fan!

Regards,
Traci Brigham

Deborah Niemann said...

Masked Man -- thanks for your observation that this would make a great base for more interesting meals. I'm thinking the addition of carmelized onions and grilled peppers would be delicious!

Traci -- Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Glad to know you enjoy the blog! Good luck finding your own place!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails