Thursday, April 27, 2006

Boring, time-wasting injury

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. Things on the farm are pretty quiet at the moment. Tuesday I was in the ER for what I thought was a broken ankle, and Wednesday I was at the dentist for two chipped teeth. I'd love to tell you some really exciting story about a runaway horse that kicked me in the mouth and knocked me down -- well maybe not -- but it's really very boring stuff that could have easily happpened in the burbs. Sunday, I was eating and reading and "forgot" to take the fork out of my mouth before I started chewing. The very loud crackling sounds alerted me to the problem!

Monday evening I was watering my flower and herb beds because my transplanted echinacea was wilting, and after I turned off the water hose, I turned around to walk back to the garden to start weeding, and next thing I knew I was on the ground screaming in pain. I had apparently stepped on something that caused my ankle to turn. That happens far too frequently, so I didn't think much of it after I stopped crying and moaning. I could hardly sleep Monday night though, and lifting my two toes on the outside of my foot was impossible, so Tuesday I decided I should take a trip to the ER. They said nothing was broken, but if it didn't feel better by the end of the week, I should see an orthopedic doctor.

My trip to the dentist in the suburbs yesterday was definitely not what the doctor ordered, and my ankle looked very fat by the time I got home. But I am very happy that my teeth now look like they have level edges again, rather than jagged ones. I spent today in bed with my foot elevated, so the swelling is very much improved. I am still in quite a bit of pain, but it is improved, so I shall not be seeking any additional medical opinions.

Sickness and injuries are such a waste of time. I kept looking out my bedroom window at the garden today. It was such a gorgeous day, and the moon is still in the right phase for planting root crops -- and I need to get more onions in the ground, as well as carrots! I'm hoping to make it out there tomorrow for a quick planting session. With a little help from my daughters, I'm hoping it doesn't set back my healing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails