Thursday, August 26, 2010

Potatoes, anyone?

 Blue potatoes sliced and ready to be fried for breakfast 
You might have guessed it already, but I don't grow hardly anything in my garden that I can buy in a store. We do grow some red tomatoes, but otherwise, we grow vegetables and fruit that most people don't recognize -- like blue potatoes, orange tomatoes, and red okra. The food in the grocery store is there because it has a long shelf life and can withstand being picked and handled by machine. They don't sell mulberries in the store simply because their shelf life is too short. We decide what varieties to grow based upon taste and appearance. I won't deny that I love making salsa with green, red, yellow, pink, and orange tomatoes because it's beautiful, as well as delicious.

This year, we're growing blue potatoes, all red (also known as cranberry), purple Viking, and French fingerlings. We've harvested all but the fingerlings, which are still growing a little bit. The blue potatoes have outperformed the others once again, which is great because they're my favorite. They're really creamy, and they have the thinnest skin you could want on a potato. We've never peeled them, because you don't need to. They're great in potato salad, mashed potatoes, and fried potatoes. They're small, so you probably wouldn't care to bake them. But blue potatoes have so many great recipe possibilities, I don't mind using another type of potato for baking, like the purple Viking, which is much larger and has a purple skin and snow white flesh.

3 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I bet that salsa is a pretty sight. I love when food is colorful.

I saw my first pink tomato the other day from my MILs garden - dang that was a good tomato. I want more. :)

I wonder what peoples reactions are when you serve blue potato salad? heehee.

LindaG said...

I've heard such great things about fingerlings that I definitely want to try them when I can.
And you make me want to try blue potatoes, too, haha, strange as they seem to my store eye. ;)
Do you grow your potatoes in regular potato hills or do you grow any in containers? Just curious. :)
Have a great weekend!

rose forever said...

I totally agree that blue potatoes are perfect for potato salad even though you did not peel it. I also make some sweetened fried potatoes and my kids really love it. I also made it with a flavor of salt and pepper, hot and spicy and barbeque. They say that it is just taste like the commercialized potato chips with different flavors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails