Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Celebration of Food" starts next week

Although I've never thought of this as a food blog, when you get down to it, it really is all about food -- planning for it, growing it, preparing it, and finally, eating it. This next Sunday, my family will be presenting the service at our church. We'll be talking about "The Spirituality of Eating." When I made the suggestion to my husband, he said to me, "People are going to think that food is the only thing you ever think about." I laughed. He really did have me figured out a long time ago. In 1988, we went on a cruise, and I was emphatic about making it to all the meals and snacks served on board. In exasperation one afternoon, he said to me, "The difference between you and me is that I eat to live; you live to eat." I couldn't disagree. So, I like food. No, I'm more like the food critic in Ratatoulle who said, "I don't like food. I love food. And if I don't love it, I don't swallow," when someone asked him how a food critic could be skinny.

There were times in my life when I just shoveled it in, thinking about nothing more than filling my belly. But as I've grown older, I've become pickier in many ways. For example, I don't like conventionally grown zucchini, because with its thin skin, it absorbs the bitter taste of chemicals sprayed on it. I often wonder how many people would love raw zucchini if they had ever tasted organic.

But I digress. As I've been doing research for our church service next Sunday, I've been reading a lot about people's relationships with food, and it's been interesting. So, rather than forcing our congregation to sit through hours of readings and musings, I thought it would be better for everyone, including my blogpals, if I used a lot of that fodder here on the blog.

Starting next Monday, I'll spend the week writing about food and gratitude, time management, organization, and a host of other things to address reasons why so many Americans don't eat as well as they know they should.

The following week, I'm going to put all the musings into action. I'll post my menu for the week, along with a shopping list. Then day by day, I'll talk about how it all works in real life. After all, you know what they say about "the best laid plans."

I wanted to get this post up early, so that all of you could let me know if there are any particular challenges that you face when it comes to cooking or eating healthier, so I can address those over the next couple weeks. People are often telling me, "It's great that you eat so well, but I never could do that." Okay, why not?

So, what's with the picture up at the top? That was dessert for yesterday's lunch. Although it tasted heavenly, the texture wasn't quite perfect, so you're not getting the recipe just yet. Cooking really is fun -- even when you mess up.

7 comments:

Kellye B said...

Looking forward to recipes and even full blown menus from you Deb! My family eats way too much processed and junk foods and my kids think fast food or the equivalent from the grocery store is the only food that tastes good. I would like to get all of us on a better track.

Lindsey said...

Hi! I've been browsing your blog and your life seems to be so interesting! I love anything 19th century- a love which began as a little girl going to Civil War Reenactments and balls in deep South Louisiana. Now, I live in Arkansas and am currently helping a community church plan a sesquentennial event/service in October. However, none of us on the event committee are experts on 19th century, more specifically, the year 1859, decor, dress, manners, etc. Thank you for creating this wonderful blog- I'm certain it will help. I'll definetely be browsing it some more for ideas!

SkippyMom said...

Great luck with this. We already eat well and do it within a budget but I will be interested to see what you have too!

Although we are unable to grow our own food [land restraints] we do enjoy purchasing local. CSAs rock!

It sounds like a wonderful idea and look forward to eat. Do you think, perhaps, in speaking about eating healthier you might address portion control and exercise? I think both of those are cornerstones to living a healthier life - just a thought.

Funnily enough my verification word is Challa - the yummy bread :)

SkippyMom said...

I look forward to "IT", not "EAT"...food on my mind now.

Michelle said...

What's my biggest challenge? That my guys aren't fond of legumes! What's a frugal vegetarian cook to do?

MichelleH said...

My biggest challenge is that while I love to cook, and eat, I work at a really demanding full-time job, and by the time I get home I'm starving and I just want to eat and go to bed, never mind spending TIME cooking and eating. People say to get up early and put something in the crock pot, but when I already get up at 5:30, getting up ANY earlier is just not going to happen! I need QUICK healthy meal solutions. But they seem hard to come buy, despite the number of tv shows etc that seem to be all about it - they're not for 'real' people. Sigh...if you have some tips, I'd really appreciate it!

Kristin said...

Hi! I just found your blog on Small Goat Garden. Looking forward to reading more. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails