Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tired

I can't believe I haven't posted since Sunday. I had so much I wanted to write! Then life happened. At least I only have two days left to teach, and I'll have two months vacation before starting again in August.

We had a big party for my husband's family on Father's Day, then the refrigerator stopped working. It was running non-stop and couldn't get any colder than about 50 degrees. Since it is only four years old and already needed a repair last year, we decided it probably wasn't worth saving so we went shopping yesterday and bought a new one.

I had to go to Urbana on Monday to check out my oldest child's new abode, and grading has been keeping me terribly busy. In fact, I'm getting home and then having to spend a few hours grading, so I'm only getting about six hours of sleep each night. I know six hours is enough for some people, but not me, sadly. I wish I could survive on only a couple hours of sleep each night. Sleep really seems like a waste of time, but it's necessary.

Lucky for me, Mike and the kids sheared most of the sheep yesterday while I was teaching. I've asked Margaret to write a blog post about it, but I'm not sure if she will. I did take a picture of her and her dad -- they reminded me of the Pig Pen character in Charlie Brown! They were covered with dirt from head to toes, and they smelled like lanolin.

Most of the rams and wethers still need to be sheared, so I'll probably wind up helping with them next week. Today, the hay from our field was baled, so that needs to be picked up and stacked. Problem is that only Jonathan and I are home, and it's supposed to rain tonight, so it'll be interesting this evening. A load of alfalfa is also supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

And did I mention that temperatures are hovering in the mid-90s with "real feel" temps above 100?

5 comments:

SkippyMom said...

The heat helps to make you more tired. And I am with you! I need 8 hours of sleep [min] and never get it. Mine is insomnia tho' not working as hard as you. Hang in there, vacay is almost here! YAY!

And please tell Margaret that I would LOVE to see a post about the sheep shearing. Please, please, please?!

Nancy K. said...

I also need 8 hours sleep at night in order to function. I manage to get it by working second shift. I'm in bed by 11 o'clock and sleep 'till 7 (in theory, anyway!) and have time to take care of my animals before heading to work...

This heat and humidity is awful! I can't imagine shearing sheep or putting up hay in it. Drink LOTS of cold fluids.

Terri said...

Yes, these Illinois temps have been unbearable!!!! I hope you can get your sheep sheared soon. they must be miserable. We just have our llama left. We'll do her in the next couple of days.

Carolina Trekker said...

I made it to the Local Farmer's Market today. A man was playing a guitar and singing and the variety of farm produce and products boggled the mind. Some folks were even cooking breakfast for shoppers. I was careful to ask for Organic and when I finished shopping a reporter for The State Newspaper stopped me & asked how to spell my name. He had taken my picture! I shared that it was my first visit, we are trying to eat more Organic and we had planted a 4x8 raised vegetable garden this spring. He shared that he had two of them & tipped me off on some good choices of plants to buy next year. Deborah, thank you for shareing about Organic and eating better. We laid my purchases out on the counter & took a picture. Can you tell we enjoyed this new this adventure today? We can't wait for the next market day. Thank you.

Deborah Niemann said...

You're welcome, Carolina Trekker! I'm very excited for you. No doubt you'll love the fresh taste.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails