Sunday, April 26, 2009

Llama shearing day

I don't know when I thought I was going to have time to make more soap today. It was on my to-do list, along with a few other things. We spent the morning catching the llamas and getting them ready for their spa day. Somehow they didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I enjoy getting a pedicure and a haircut. In fact, Merlin made a growling noise the whole time, and he was spitting a lot. Sterling was the calmest of the four boys. Since Kim and John, their previous owners, were the shearers, they knew what to expect. In fact, they told us not to get in front of Merlin because he spits while being sheared. That was really valuable information, as being spat upon by a llama is not terribly pleasant. We made sure to stand far behind him, although he was trying to turn his head enough to get us. We finally got the boys done and had lunch around 3:30 or 4:00. Kim and John left at 4:30, and then we had so many things to do around here that we didn't get into the house for dinner until sundown. This is a picture of Tuscany being sheared. Tomorrow is a big day for him, as he is going to be gelded.

I wish I could go straight to bed, but I have more work to do.

5 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Is there a post in your archives about what you do with the shearing? I would love to know. I try to keep up, but I may have forgotten.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

I'll bet Tuscany would have been spitting, too, if he knew what was in store for him next!!!

Nancy in Atlanta

Claire MW said...

Love the llama shearing stand. I think we need one of those for next year.

Deborah Niemann said...

SkippyMom -- We sell roving and yarn, and we also spin and knit or crochet things for ourselves.

Gizmo said...

You must be looking at my to do list. I have to "naked" shear our girls this year.
You might want to look into getting a spit mask. You can make them, but I found them to be well worth the money. ;)
A friend of mine is interested in your doelings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails