Sunday, March 25, 2007

Back to work after the flood

The flood waters subsided, and we did not get the two days of rain predicted -- thank goodness! I hope we have a few more warm days with sunshine, so all the mud will finally dry out. Walking through the yard is treacherous. It's so squishy! Mike spent hours working on the fence today, but it is finally put back together, and the solar electric is working.

Today was incredibly busy, and I spent the first half of it at church! When we got home, we ate a quick lunch of sandwiches (goat cheese and mushrooms), and then we headed outside to take advantage of the 80 degree temperature!

We planted garlic, which we did not have a chance to plant last fall. We've never planted spring garlic before, but it will supposedly grow, just not as big as it would have if we'd planted it last fall. The really good news is that when we moved back the straw that the girls had put around the peach trees, we found several garlic plants that we had missed when harvesting last fall, and they have begun to reproduce, so we will have some great garlic plants from last year's crop. Each clove should form a new bud, but again, it won't be as big as if we had separated the buds and planted the cloves separately.

We also planted a few onions, and then I came inside to put more seeds into pots -- 144 little pots, to be exact. The other seeds I've planted are mostly sprouting. I'm concerned about the pepper seeds I planted about a month ago. They're still not up, but the tomatoes that I planted two weeks ago are sprouting! I think there's a problem with those peppers.

Today I planted more serrano peppers and ancho san luis, both of which are hot peppers. For sweet peppers, I planted some California wonder purple peppers, golden summit , sunbright, and orange sun. I also planted some Copenhagen market cabbage, long purple eggplant, rosa bianca eggplant, and wayahead tomaotes. I even started some flowers: rudbeckia (prairie sun) and snapdragons.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

My husband informed me this morning, when he saw the pots and seed packets out, that it is too late to start tomatoes. Now I don't know what to do. (He is a big fan of buying expensive tomato plants from the store, hoping he'll get more tomatoes and sooner that way.) Oregon doesn't have summers that are long and hot enough for optimum tomato production....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails