Friday, August 10, 2012

Bridget's new heifer


Yes! After having three bull calves in the last two calving seasons, we finally got a heifer! This is little Ciara, which is Irish and pronounced like kee-ra. The plan is to keep her, so she can be our future milk cow.


On Saturday morning, July 28, Katherine and I were doing chores, and when we took Chaffhaye out to the cows, Molly and Bridget came running up right away. Molly's calf wasn't far behind. As I stood there admiring the little bull calf, I saw something small and black moving in the distant grass. I gasped and moved quickly to position myself to see around the cows, and sure enough -- there was a little calf!


Katherine and I jumped over the gate and went running down the hill. The little calf walked towards me, and I got one stroke under the chin, when the little darlin' took off like a rocket running across the pasture! She ran smack into the electric fence and got herself terribly tangled in it. Katherine rushed to unhook it at a juncture, as the calf was bawling like crazy. I had almost reached the calf when she freed herself and took off running towards the western fence. I yelled at Katherine to run faster and cut her off before she got herself tangled in that one.


Finally we got her turned around and slowly pushed her back towards her mama, who was happily munching away on the Chaffhaye. Once we had her reunited with Bridget, we were able to get close enough to figure out the gender. She is a shy one though, so we'll have to work on socializing her. I'm not sure if she's polled or not, but her head doesn't look as round as the bull calf. Daddy was polled though, so there is a 50/50 chance that she will be naturally hornless.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What gorgeous eyes she has! Congrats on getting a GIRL!

Carolyn said...

Glad you finally got your little girl! Boy, what an early, and nasty little lesson about the electric fence. Glad everyone is ok.

Mary Ann said...

And another beauty!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Hopefully your good luck producing a heifer this year will pass on to my little cow herd as well!

Patty said...

Oh, she is a pretty baby! If only I had more than 1.5 acres to work with, my 14 year old daughter might have her wish for a cow.
Congratulations of the little girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails