Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas food

Since we were going to spend Christmas Day dinner with relatives, and they were planning lasagna, we decided to fix a turkey with all the trimmings on Christmas Eve.

We had one of our heritage turkey hens. It was only six pounds, but still we had left-overs.

And of course, there was bread. This is only the second braided bread I've done (first was on Thanksgiving), so I really want to emphasize how easy this is! Give it a try!

Katherine made chocolate truffles, chocolate-covered walnuts, and chocolate-dipped pretzels.

And we were in charge of dessert for the Christmas Day dinner, so here's the platter that we took. In addition to Katherine's candy, there were homemade Heath bars and peanut butter brownies. We also took decorated Christmas cookies, which were not very pretty, but they tasted delicious, and that's all that's really important.

Now I need to place a moratorium on baking sweets for a couple weeks -- at least!

9 comments:

Anne said...

The Christmas Eve/Day foods look divine! I tried the french bread braid as my first home baked bread EVER and it was a success! I am hooked on bread making now!I've been snowed in since Christmas Eve waiting for, first, the snow to end and, secondly, the plow guy to show up. Lots of time to cook and make plans for expanding my farm. Goals this year include planting more veggies, milking my Alpine doe(hope she's pregnant) and making cheese, raising more cornish/rock chix for meat and raising a few heritage turkeys. THANKS for all of the inspiration and information on this blog!!!! Best, Anne the breadmaker;)

Deborah Niemann said...

Anne, I'm glad to hear that the bread worked well for you! I'm so spoiled by home-baked bread that I only buy a loaf every couple weeks now. Love your goals for next year, and I'm happy to hear that you've been inspired by my crazy stories!

CONEFLOWER said...

Your "crazy stories" are delightful. If I were in a position to begin farming I'd be taking notes like crazy.

What a feast you had on Christmas Eve. How was the lasagna?

Caprifool said...

Everything looks absolutly gorgeous.

Deborah Niemann said...

Thanks, Coneflower and CapriFool! The lasagna was great. We were all stuffed, although we ate in the middle of the afternoon, so I got hungry around 9 at night. I discovered that a slice of turkey breast with a slice of smoked gouda is really a yummy little snack on one of my dinner rolls.

SkippyMom said...

Where is the recipe for the braided bread? :) I know I could use my regular bread recipe, but yours is so beautiful I want to make it too!

The turkey is gorgeous! Although I never understood the concept of lasagna on Christmas - and I MARRIED into an Italian family. heehee

Shula said...

That bread looks delicious. I love homemade bread. All the food looks great/

Gail V said...

We make braided bread like that, using an egg bread recipe; then we call it Challah, the Jewish weekly sabbath bread.
If yours is French bread, I'd love to see the recipe,too.
Gail at Little Red Oak Farm

Deborah Niemann said...

It's the same French bread recipe I shared last week:
http://antiquityoaks.blogspot.com/2009/12/bread-fun.html
It has become my favorite bread, which I still find hard to believe since it has only four ingredients -- no fat and no sugar. Amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails