Monday, September 29, 2008

Down

I've been down both physically and emotionally for the past week. Last Wednesday, I was stepping over a barbed wire fence, and my pants got caught in a barb, and I landed on my butt. (Before anyone gets excited about my sheep and goats and barbed wire, don't worry. The barbed wire is not used in any of the sheep and goat pastures.) I had been without my NSAIDs and muscle relaxers for two weeks and was hoping that I hadn't wrecked my neck. When I woke up Thursday morning feeling fine, I thought I had escaped injury. Then Thursday night, I was looking at the floor and started to lift my head and realized my neck was locked up again. It wouldn't move in any direction, and it was excruciating to even try.

So, I am back to Square 1, taking meds every day. I saw a neurosurgeon last month and decided to try physical therapy under the supervision of a physiatrist -- sort of a combo physician and physical therapist. He must be a very popular guy, because it takes about a month to get an appointment, so I still have to wait another two weeks for that appointment. In the meantime, I've started doing yoga, which I thought was helping until I fell.

I'm also down about the economy and general state of the nation. Hearing politicians and economist say the "D" word brings back memories of my parents talking about the Depression they lived through. They adopted me when they were in their 40s and 50s, which is why they were old enough to have lived through the Depression. Anyway, I haven't been worried about us surviving a depression. My mother always said that they were never hungry because they lived on a farm, but my parents were always scared of people stealing things from them. And then last week I read on another blog about thieves shooting someone's cow and chopping off the biggest pieces of meat to steal. To make me worry more, I heard that unemployment in our county jumped two percent last month, and in some parts of the state, it's over 10%. It makes me wonder what kind of a world we will be facing in another month or two.

4 comments:

Heather said...

About your physical wellbeing--my experience with physiatrists has been very positive!

About our world--I believe that it's going to be a challenge, but that many of us will rise to that challenge, and be better people because of the challenge. The "greatest generation" was great because it faced the challenges of the Depression and a World War--and came together and came through.

People like you, who are re-learning the skills of community and self-sufficiency and sustainablitity--you are the heroes and teachers and vanguard of the next "greatest generation."

Deborah Niemann said...

Thanks, Heather, for your inspiring words!

And I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with a physiatrist. I'd never heard of the profession before this one was recommended.

Nancy K. said...

I hope you feel better quickly Deborah! I know how exhausting and depressing pain can be. I'll say a special prayer for you....

pedalpower said...

Goodness, I hope you feel better soon!

The economy is pretty depressing right now. If things get bad, women like you, who know how to raise livestock and put up food will be in demand ...to give advise to those of use who haven't done much of that sort of thing. Luckily I have a mom who knows all about canning and freezing.

The food pantry at our church has been especially busy in recent months. It always saddens me though when families come in and all they want is boxed convenience instead of good foods that take a little longer to prepare. Just try to give away dried beans at the pantry...people won't take them!

I think Heather is right though...usually the American people rise to the occasion when the going gets tough.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails