Friday, March 17, 2006

Learning all the time ...


I just learned something new! Every fall I get mad at myself for "wasting" a bunch of spring bulbs that I never get planted. I've always heard about forcing bulbs, but with my total lack of a green thumb, I didn't think it was something I could do. Last fall, I decided I had nothing to lose! I googled "forcing bulbs," read several different articles on the subject and stuck the bulbs in the bottom of the frig.

In January, I took out four bulbs (two tulip and two daffodil) and sat them on top of four bud vases that had an opening big enough to hold the bulb, and I filled them with water, so only the lower half of the bulb was in water. Roots grew!!! Woo hoo!!! And shoots came out of the top! So then I planted some of the other bulbs in pots. I put dirt down on the bottom and really crammed in the bulbs, side by side. A couple weeks ago, I was enjoying a daffodil blooming in one of the vases. For the past few days, I have been enjoying beautiful tulips in my living room, and I have a mixed pot of daffodil and tulip bulbs still in the basement (it's about 50 degrees down there). I also have a few bulbs left in the frig, which I will plant in the next few days. I love fresh flowers, and this is a wonderful way to enjoy them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails